Tuesday 4 June 2013

Design on Pot

Design for Pot

On my vase I would like a Elephant design as the main attraction. It should be the focus of the pot. I began by doing some initial sketches of Elephants. I came across the artist David Shepherd who paints a lot of elephant pictures. He painted a lot with a group of Elephants this gave me the idea to focus on having a family of elephants- Mother, Father and baby. 

David Shepherd


David studied art under professional artist, Robin Goodwin, with early commissions for the RAF taking him to Aden in 1960, and on to Kenya. This trip changed his life. He was asked to paint his first wildlife subject and at the same time, he became a conservationist overnight when he witnessed 255 zebra dead around a waterhole poisoned by poachers.

Since then, David has enjoyed successful one-man shows around the world and has won many awards. He has been the subject of several TV programmes and published five books and over 200 limited edition prints.  David still lives at a frenetic pace, continuing to donate paintings to wildlife through his Foundation, to pay back "my enormous debt of gratitude to the animals I paint". 







Above are some of David Shepherd's Elephant paintings.

http://shop.davidshepherd.org/list.php?merchandise=0&specialoffers=0&search%5Bkeyword%5D=&search%5Bartist%5D=000356&search%5Bsubject%5D=elephant&search%5Bmedium%5D=&search%5Bsort%5D=

Here is a drawing I did which I then scanned and put in photoshop. I used a freehand sketchy approach, however I feel this may be too complicated to screen print to place on the pot. Therefore I began to create a simpler design.


Here I wanted to see what the design would look like with pure black lines and a white background. I think it works better for a pot design but is still much too complicated.

BioWorkZ


I really love this artist's graphic style of work and the bold fineliner lines. He does detailed illustrations that remain simple at the same time with no shading just a basic line. I took inspiration from his work and came up with my own design. I think it will work great on the pot and if I get the right colour combination could look very striking. 

Who is Ben Kwok?​​​​​​​​​​​​

BioWorkZ a.k.a. Ben Kwok is an L.A. based graphic artist and illustrator. Born in Taiwan, raised in Los Angeles, art has always been a huge part of my life. When I could first used chopsticks, I was already doodling on whatever I could get my hands on. I love complex hyper detailed artwork. To lose myself into the “flow” of drawing is about as good as it gets. I’m very passionate about what I do, that’s why I continue doing it.

I was heavily influenced by the works of H.R. Giger, Alfonse Mucha. Now, I find myself being drawn into type/lettering inspired artwork. Especially works by Aaron Horkey, and David A. Smith. Their attention to detail is simply amazing. I have yet to see any contemporary artists come close to their caliber. There are many other inspiring artists such as Hydro74, Jon Contino, Android Jones, Audrey Kawasaki, to name a few.

http://www.bioworkz.com/#!about/cuja

Here is some of his work:










http://society6.com/artist/BioWorkZ

Here is a drawing created in the style of Ben Kwok. It is made up of cogs and shapes all fitting together. I really like this drawing but I am worried it is too complicated still.

 Here I wanted to see how it would look on a simple white pot. It works quite well but I would prefer a bright colour in the background.


 This is a design in which I wanted to see how it would look repeated. I think it adds a new look and the legs create a nice shape together.
 This is a all black version which works much better as a repeat. I could use this as a border around my bowl.



This is the design on a vase shape to see how it would look with a brighter background. I think the design itself doesn't stand out enough so I need to make it simpler and bolder.


I love this design! This is what I will use on the pot. I used illustrator to create a much simpler version and it turned out really well and think it looks very striking.


I wanted to see how it would work on a bright yellow background and I feel the two colours mix very well. I will try to produce a similar look for my final piece.

The pot does need some information or  logo that will link it to animal conservation and after researching a lot of Elephant Conservation foundations, I feel the International Elephant Foundation. org is the best one to use. I didn't want to overload the pot with information so thought having there logo would work best.


http://www.elephantconservation.org/


IEF supports conservation, education and research of the world’s elephants with a commitment to affect positive change through the facilitation of elephant conservation and sound scientific investigation resulting in the protection of elephants for future generations.


 Above is my final designs to go on the vase pot, and below is the design to go around the edge of the bowl ceramic pot.











1 comment:

  1. Hello Amy,

    Your post above used our coil pot tutorial (text and photos with our water mark) is great although it is the proper and morally correct practice to mention the artist you have borrowed his/her work to advance your cause.

    A credit to Lakeside Pottery and it's studio with a direct link to the following link is greatly appreciated:

    www.lakesidepottery.com

    Kindly, Morty and Patty

    Lakeside Pottery Ceramic Studio
    543 Newfield Avenue
    Stamford, CT 06905
    203-323-2222
    www.lakesidepottery.com

    ReplyDelete